Make: 5 medium size (8 inches by 4 inches)
Baking time: 20-30 mins
Temperature: 350 degrees and 315 degrees
1 1/4 Cups warm water (110 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
1 Packet active dry yeast/ 9g / 0.32 oz
1/4 Cup of sugar + 1tbsp
3 Cups of unbleached white flour, pizza 00 flour or all purpose flour + 2 tbsp. for kneading
1/4 cup butter (melted)
1 Tablespoon of oil (sunflower, canola, olive) + 1/2 Tsp. for brushing a bowl
1 Teaspoon of Salt
1 Egg (beaten) for washing
Mozarella cheese (shredded) or any of your favorite cheese
Bell Pepper (Chopped)
And anything you want
1. In a large bowl combine the warm water and sugar, stir until the sugar is melted. Another thing you can do to melt the sugar is by putting it in a low heat and keep stirring it until it is well combine or sugar is melted. Let it sit in 30-1min until the temperature is 115 degrees F.
2. On your large bowl with water and sugar combine the packet of yeast, spread it and let it sit until the yeast is bubbly and activated. The Organic yeast that I’m using usually rise around 15 mins to 30 mins.
3.Combine the flour to your bowl 1 cup at a time and the salt on your second cup, stir it using spatula. I usually use stand mixer (level 1 or two or low )for this but you can always do it by hand.
4. Add the melted butter and oil on your bowl then mix it on low level again. If your dough are still runny just keep adding flour 1 Tbsp at a time until it is sticky and soft.
5. Flour your kneading surface and knead the dough until it is smooth.
6. Get a large bowl or use the same bowl of dough and put the remaining 1/2 tsp. of oil and spread it inside the surface of the bowl. Now put your dough on it and cover it with plastic wrap or a clean towel. Let it rise or doubled for 30 mins to 1 hour. Put the dough on your warmest place inside the house. You can usually put it inside the oven or near the fire place.
7. Turn on your oven into 350 degrees F.
8. Get your dough that already risen and punch it in the middle so that the air will release and knead it again for 1 minute.
9. Separate or cut the dough into 5 pcs. Form a circular dough by folding it downwards, then flat it.
10. Slowly stretch the dough and the using your floured roller, roll it until 8 inches wide.make sure to keep sprinkling flour on the surface so that the dough will not going to stick on your surface.
11. Move your flat dough on a pan with parchment paper (so that you don’t need to transfer it when there are toppings inside which is a little tricky especially for first timer). Then add your favourite Toppings make sure that sauce is in the middle so that it is not going to affect the bottom of the dough because you don’t want a uncooked and wet dough.
12. Now fold your dough slowly, make sure you will not poke or let the dough get some hole. Now slowly lock the sides by pinching the sides. Using a fork you can make design or some other ways or you can just leave it after pinching but make sure your luck it nicely because you don’t want the cheese and sauce to come out. Another thing you can do is don’t put the pizza sauce inside and just serve it with your calzone when it’s ready.
13. Brush the top of the Calzone using egg (or called egg wash).
14. Bake your Calzone for about 20-30 mins until outside is golden brown. 350 degrees for the first 10 mins then switch to 315 on the remaining time so that the outside is crunchy and inside is a little soft. You can always adjust the temperature remember that the higher the temperature the softer it is, the lower the temperature the crunchy it is.
15. Now your calzone is done and you can start digging in.
Happy Eating 🙂