Make: 12 medium bagel or 6 large
Baking Time: 18-20 minutes
Temperature: 415 degrees F
1 1/4 cups of warm water (110-115 degrees F)
1/4 cup of organic granulated white sugar + 2 tbsp
1 packet of organic yeast
2 1/2 cups of flour + 1/8 cup for dusting and kneading (add 1 tbsp. of flour if needed for its consistency)
1 teaspoon of salt
1/8 cup of organic unsalted butter (melted)
1/8 cup of organic oil (sunflower or canola)
1 organic egg (beaten for brushing)
Organic Granulated Garlic
Organic Poppy seeds
Organic Sesame seeds
Organic Sunflower seeds
Organic Flax seeds
or you can use some other seeds that you want
Organic shredded cheese (any block of cheese)
3 Cups of water for boiling
1/2 teaspoon of oil for pan
Note: You can always free to use none organic product if you want. This recipe doesn’t need to be organic. You can always use whatever you have in your kitchen.
1. In a large bowl combine the warm water and sugar, stir until the sugar is melted. Another thing you can do to melt the sugar is by putting it in a low heat and keep stirring it until it is well combine or sugar is melted. Let it sit in 30-1min until the temperature is 115 degrees F.
2. On your large bowl with water and sugar combine the packet of yeast, spread it and let it sit until the yeast is bubbly and activated. The Organic yeast that I’m using usually rise around 15 mins to 30 mins.
3.Combine the flour to your bowl 1 cup at a time and the salt on your second cup, stir it using spatula. I usually use stand mixer (level 1 or two or low )for this but you can always do it by hand.
4. Add the melted butter and oil on your bowl then mix it on low level again. If your dough are still runny just keep adding flour on it until it is sticky and soft.
5. Flour your kneading surface and knead the dough until it is smooth.
6. Get a large bowl or use the same bowl of dough and put the remaining 1/2 tsp. of oil and spread it inside the surface of the bowl. Now put your dough on it and cover it with plastic wrap or a clean towel. Let it rise or doubled for 30 mins to 1 hour. Put the dough on your warmest place inside the house. You can usually put it inside the oven or near the fire place.
7. Turn on your oven into 415 degrees F.
8. Get your dough that already risen and punch it in the middle so that the air will release and knead it again for 1 minute.
9. Separate or cut the dough into 12 pcs. Form a circular dough by folding it downwards, then flat it, stick your finger in the middle of it, stretch it like doughnut shape. Let it rise for at least 3-5 mins.
10. Boil 3 cups of water on a pan. When the water is boiling put the bagel one at a time or depends on the wide of pan that you are going to use. Let the bagel boil 1-2 mins each side. Add more water if needed. Note that the bagel should not touch the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking and deforming of the bagel.
11. Put your boiled bagel on a baking pan with parchment paper.Line it 1 inch apart from all sides.
12. Beat your egg on a bowl and brush it on each of the bagel.
13. Put your toppings/seeds that you like at the top of the bagel. I usually like the combination of poppy seeds, sesame seeds and granulated garlic.
14. Bake your bagel on your oven for 415 degrees F, about 18-20 minutes until the top of the bagel is golden brown.
Now your bagel is done and ready to serve. Happy eating 😉